Kimbap is similar to sushi roll. Vegetable Kimbap especially tastes similar to California roll. You can buy Kimbap at a Kimbap store, and there is one on nearly every corner of the street in Korea. (Kimbap is available from 1000 won (US $ 1.05) at the shop.)
Kimbap is very popular as a picnic meal. There are lots of variations of kimbap, however I’m going to show you how to make vegetable kimbap today. It is quite simple to follow.
Ingredients for 2 people
- Laver 4 sheets
- Steamed rice for 2 people
- 4 Yellow radish strips
- 2 Crab sticks
- 4 sticks of BBQ Kimbap ham (Kimbap ham is long and easy to slice. Because it is made for Kimbap)
- 3 stalks of spinach
- 1/5 a carrot
- 6 long sticks of seasoned edible burdock root
- 3 eggs
- Some sesame oil
- Some salt
Preparation (It will take about 15 minutes)
- Cut the crab sticks in half. (Length ways, it will give you a total 4 sticks.)
- Cut the carrots into long thin slices. (I need 6 sticks.)
- Rinse the spinach and parboil it in boiled water. (For 1 minute)
- Put the spinach into a bowl. Add 2 sprinkles of salt and 1 dash of sesame oil on spinach then mix it well.
- Beat one egg in a bowl. Fry the egg in a pan and make the egg stick by rolling it. (It is better if you can make it thin.) Do the same with rest of the eggs.
6. Cook the carrots, crab sticks and BBQ ham in a pan with a little oil. (You can use un-cooked ones, but I prefer cooked ones.)
7. Put all the ingredients on one plate. It makes it easy to roll.
8. Add 2 dashes of sesame oil and 2 sprinkles of salt on the rice. Mix it well.
- During the process of no 5 and 6 I used the same pan and I didn’t rinse or wash it.
Making (It will take about 10 minutes)
- Place one laver on the bamboo mat. (Actually you don’t really need a mat. I hardly use it.)
- Put the rice on the laver. You need to spread it thinly. (I use my fingers and rice spatula.)
- Put two burdock sticks, two carrot sticks, crab stick, ham, yellow radish, egg stick (all one each), and some spinach in the middle of the rice.
- Roll it. (If the laver doesn’t stick, paste some water at the edge.
5. Once you made rolls, paste some sesame oil onto the laver surface (just little bit) and slice them.
6. Serve it on the plate.